A Chicago-area research opportunity for the 2021-2022 school year!
We are looking for preschool teachers in the greater Chicago area who are willing to share their early math teaching with researchers. Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative and SRI Education were awarded federal funding to conduct a research study examining interactions between teachers and children around math in early childhood.
This research will take place during the 2021-2022 school year. Please sign up to receive more information at the bottom of this page. We will reach out to interested teachers in the Spring and Summer of 2021.
Thank you for your interest in Measuring Math. We anticipate beginning data collection in Fall 2021. The safety of children and teachers is our highest priority. We will follow guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health and coordinate with programs to determine research procedures that ensure the health and wellbeing of all.
What Will Participation Involve?
For center administrators:
- Assist in sharing information about Measuring Math with your teachers & families.
- Help with distributing and collecting consent forms beginning in fall of 2021*.
- Work with Measuring Math project staff to determine a research schedule that fits your center’s routine in the fall of 2021* and spring of 2022*.
For participating teachers:
- Allow videographers to record teachers and children working around math once in fall 2021* and twice in spring 2022* (including set-up, about 30 minutes per session).
- Complete a brief online survey in fall of 2021* and spring of 2022* (about 30 minutes each time).
For participating children:
- Work one-on-one with a researcher in fall of 2021* and spring 2022* (about 30 minutes each time).
*Timeline may shift based on the guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health.
What Will Participants Receive?
Participating teachers will receive:
- Access to premium online content from Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative (including instructional videos & downloadable material).
- An opportunity to participate in Erikson Institute’s math professional development (up to 4 Gateways credit hours)
- A $25 gift card for each survey completed (up to $50 total).
Participating children will receive:
- a storybook each time they meet with a researcher.