A new Chicago-area research opportunity!
We are looking for preschool teachers in the greater Chicago area who are willing to share their early math teaching with researchers. Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative and SRI Education were awarded federal funding to conduct a research study examining interactions between teachers and children around math in early childhood.
This research will take place during the 2019-2020 school year.
What Will Participation Involve?
For center administrators:
- Assist in sharing information about Measuring Math with your teachers & families.
- Help with distributing and collecting consent forms beginning in late spring of 2019.
- Work with Measuring Math project staff to determine a research schedule that fits your center’s routine in the fall of 2019 and spring of 2020.
For participating teachers:
- Allow videographers to record teachers and children working around math once in early fall 2019 and twice in spring 2020 (including set-up, about 30 minutes per session).
- Complete a brief online survey in fall 2019 and spring 2020 (about 30 minutes each time).
For participating children:
- Work one-on-one with a researcher in fall 2019 and spring 2020 (about 30 minutes each time).
What Will Participants Receive?
Participating teachers will receive:
- Access to premium online content from Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative (including instructional videos & downloadable material).
- An opportunity to attend one free in-person math professional development at Erikson Institute (3.5 hrs of Gateways credit).
- A $25 gift card for each survey completed (up to $50 total).
Participating children will receive:
- a storybook each time they meet with a researcher.