A Chicago-area research opportunity for the 2020-2021 school year!
We are looking for preschool teachers in the greater Chicago area who are willing to share their early math teaching with researchers. Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative and SRI Education were awarded federal funding to conduct a research study examining interactions between teachers and children around math in early childhood.
This research will take place during the 2020-2021 school year. Please sign-up to receive more information at the bottom of this page. We will reach out to interested teachers in the Spring of 2020.
Thank you for your interest in Measuring Math. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our project timeline has shifted. We anticipate beginning data collection in January 2021, pending guidance from the Illinois Department of Health. The safety of children and teachers is our highest priority. We will be sure to coordinate with programs to determine research procedures that ensure the health and wellbeing of all
What Will Participation Involve?
For center administrators:
- Assist in sharing information about Measuring Math with your teachers & families.
- Help with distributing and collecting consent forms beginning in fall of 2020*.
- Work with Measuring Math project staff to determine a research schedule that fits your center’s routine in the winter of 2021* and spring of 2021*.
For participating teachers:
- Allow videographers to record teachers and children working around math once in winter 2020* and twice in spring 2021* (including set-up, about 30 minutes per session).
- Complete a brief online survey in winter 2021* and spring 2021* (about 30 minutes each time).
For participating children:
- Work one-on-one with a researcher in winter 2021* and spring 2021* (about 30 minutes each time).
*Timeline may shift based on the guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health.
What Will Participants Receive?
Participating teachers will receive:
- Access to premium online content from Erikson’s Early Math Collaborative (including instructional videos & downloadable material).
- An opportunity to attend one free in-person math professional development at Erikson Institute (3.5 hrs of Gateways credit).
- A $25 gift card for each survey completed (up to $50 total).
Participating children will receive:
- a storybook each time they meet with a researcher.